Friday, April 17, 2009

Unemployment, Days 26-30

Monday, Mom and I had lunch with Gramma Nori and Eric. Eric and Gramma have lunch every Monday as a kind of staying in touch goal. It is nice to to see the family. Food seems to be a central theme. :)

Tuesday Mom went to work, so I was left home alone for the day. It was nice to just be lazy, read a book, play on my computer, and have the cats harass me. Cat hair everywhere. My clothes, my suitcase, my eyes. Its everywhere! I'm doing ok enough, but my allergies are not happy with the cats. C'est la vie.

Wednesday I helped Mom and Dad take the Expedition into the shop. It makes a hissing boiling noise in the HVAC system of the car, it is very loud, definitely noticeable. They still hadn't figured out what was wrong with it, so they kept it overnight.

Thursday the shop determined there was a leak in the rear A/C unit. About $600 to fix / replace. Don't know if they'll bother, A/C isn't really all that necessary in Alaska. It is a 'nice to have' thing. Unless it inhibits the rest of the heating system, not sure if it makes any sense to have it replaced. Dad will figure out what he wants done.

Also spent most of the day with Gramma Nori. She and I went to lunch at a local cafe she really likes. I had soup and half a sandwich. Good soup, great sandwich. (Hard to go wrong with bacon.) Afterwards went to a doctor appointment with her, and then hung out and talked and watched the news before accompanying her to her Condo Associate Meeting.

If you own are a member of a condo association, make sure that you have 'special assessment' insurance.
My grandmother's condo building consists of two towers, one North, and one South. The North tower had a fire 2 years ago, and all the units were lost. The Condo Association was woefully underinsured for the value of the North tower. EACH member of the association, both towers, will have to pay their share of a special assessment to help rebuild the condos that were lost in the fire.

My 80+ year old grandmother has to cough up $70,000 to a condo building, and she already owns her own unit by the way, so that others can have their homes re-built. I understand that is what happens, but wow. She should be thinking about grandchildren and great-grandchildren and fun and leisure. Now she's having to look for a mortgage loan to pay for something she already owns. Yes, the building should have been insured for more, but it wasn't. The meeting went well enough. I feel bad for the people who lost their homes. At least Gramma still has all her possessions and her condo and has had a place to live for the last two years. People in the North tower were not so lucky.

Friday did some running around with Mom and helped her get ready for her and Dad's weekend trip to the cabin.
I'm staying in town so that I can go to Spamalot with Drew on Saturday. I'm all alone in the house. Only the cats and the fish to keep me company.

Looking forward to the weekend. :) I'll have more later, after the show!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for bringing us readers up to speed! Sounds like you are doing well and having fun :-)