Sunday, April 19, 2009

Food, frivolity, fun

Sunday morning, slow moving, didn't sleep all that well. House was empty, but I think I was a little keyed up after being up all night. I have thrown my rhythm off a bit.

Took my Dad's gihugic Expedition and put fuel in it, and then went through the car wash. I forget how much of a behemoth that vehicle is, as I'm trying to turn tight corners in order to get the thing aligned so that it falls into the car wash track. Lots of people were at the car wash. I gave myself an hour worth of time to get fuel, get the car washed, and meet up with Gramma Nori at 11 AM.

I made it with zero time to spare. I guess all the road grime and ash and gravel and dirt make everyone in this city want to wash their vehicle too. Can't say as I blame any of them.

Gramma Nori and I walked to the Pioneer Home to have lunch with my Great Aunt Reva. Sunday apparently was visiting day for a great many families. It is good to see that other residents get visitors. Not thrilled by the food, personally, but both Aunt Reva and Gramma Nori said it was good. (Citrus Glazed Pork Loin, Cranberry stuffing, and some odd greenish diced vegetable that I couldn't identify.) It was perhaps me more than anything that didn't get along with the food. I wasn't there for the food though, so that was good.

So, this is a semi-retirement home. People who have lived in Alaska for a long time, contributed, and meet certain other residency requirements can get a unit in the Pioneer Home. Most of the residents are older, 70+ in years. Many of them may not have family or other options of living. It is a care facility that has different levels of care based upon need.

I make these points because one of the 'resident's' kids (35 to 40 years old) decided to perform his 'band' in the dining hall. During dining hours. With us captive audience.

So, did he roll out Perry Como, or Frank Sinatra, or even some Michael Buble? Noooooo.
In a room full of older people who can't hear well, they played :


Kenny Wayne Shepherd- Blue On Black

Seether featuring Amy Lee (From Evanescence) - Broken

Sting's cover of Jimi Hendrix's Little Wing


This was probably not the audience he wanted to roll out for.
He also wasn't particularly good. I realize he's a band trying to make his way. But seriously, have some pride man.

I guess I would have chosen different songs, to be sure.

My cousin Joseph, Reva's Grandson, arrived after lunch as we were visiting with Reva, so we left them to catch up.
Reva has quite the social calendar, and is likely the envy of other residents who don't get visitors that often. (If at all).

Mom and Dad made it home from the cabin, and it was a quiet and lazy Sunday evening.
(We had Carl's Jr for dinner, and I ate way too much. Plus, they were out of diet coke, but luckily they had Diet Dr. Pepper.)

No comments: