Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Unemployment, Days 21 - 23

Monday I spent most of the day trying to do some things around the house, while getting ready to leave for my Alaska trip. Failed.

I just don't feel motivated. But then, I always have been kind of slacking when I am left to myself. It would be different if I was traveling with someone else, I'd feel the need to be more responsible. Not the case though.

Tuesday I hung around the house waiting for the cable guy to show up so that he could bring me my new HD cable box with HD DVR. I decided that I was going to make stew in the crock pot for dinner. I had prepped the vegetables the night before, along with the meat, so it makes it pretty quick to assemble once everything is all said and done.

I ended up making a big batch of chocolate chip cookies for the boys. I figured it would be something to leave them for when I was gone. (Even though they likely won't last more than a few days...)

The cable guy was late, he was also fairly new. Good guy. Beau scared him. He spent an enormous amount of time trying to get everything to work. Took him nearly two hours to get a new box up and running, and at no point did he need to run new line either from the pole, or inside the house. I have no idea why it took two hours to get a cable box working. Isn't it all electronic? Aren't these things pre programmed?

I had to also go to a 'Re-Employment Orientation Seminar' for the state. This is to keep my unemployment payments. The class was pretty much a waste of time. There are so many people out of work right now. It amazed me the sheer volume of people. It also didn't help that it was nearly 80 degrees yesterday, in this tiny cramped classroom, with a ton of people and no air conditioning. The UI folks want to make sure that I am doing everything i can to replace my job.

Stew was fabulous. Tate came over for dinner, as he had been helping Derek fix his truck.
We fed him, and gave him cookies too. This is bribery to help him help Derek put my new transmission and transfer case in while I am gone. It will be nice not to be 'popping the clutch' on my automatic transmission! :)

Wednesday (today) was sheer craziness. I just didn't seem to have enough time to get things done. I ran out to do some last minute errands. Everyone seemed nuts. Travis tells me that I always say that, and perhaps the problem is me. Indeed, it probably is me.

I managed to drop a glass mixing bowl while I was fixing dinner. Full of panko and butter, the glass bowl shattered as it hit the side of the stove, then it bounce against the floor, sending shrapnel everywhere, and panko crumbs in my hair, all over the oven, and even on the ceiling. I think I managed to keep the glass out of the macaroni and cheese. We'll find out tomorrow.


Right now, I'm sitting at the airport at my gate. Waiting to board the plane.

Going to Alaska to visit the family for a month.

I miss Travis and Beau already.

Part of me wants the month to go fast. And part of me doesn't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you are going to have an amazing time with your family and I'm sure Travis and Derek will keep things under control just fine back at the home front. Relax and have lots of fun!