Sunday, March 08, 2009

Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics

I am now officially a statistic.

(At least I didn't say 'literally'.)

Friday March 6 was my last day of work, the company has decided to 'eliminate my position'.
While I would never say anything bad (since that would jeopardize my severance package), I find it amusing to say the least that the company felt 'I didn't have enough work to keep me busy'.

No one ever came to find out what I was working on, nor what I was doing, so it does make me wonder how they arrived at this logic.

I am a wash of emotions.

I was actually pretty good with things, even through Friday afternoon when I got hauled into a conference room and everyone was saying how good a job I had done, and how much they respected me, and so on. I guess I need to remind myself that they were doing that more for them, than for me. It was like attending my own funeral, in a way. It is a way for the remaining people to grieve and to heal.

I'm pretty angry though. I do plan to make my anger productive.

I'm not bitter, and I'm not wallowing, but I confess to feeling a depression. Or maybe I'm suffering withdrawal. I had the habit of going into the office each day. Maybe I need a patch, or some gum.

I know that I have a very marketable skill, having been certified and licensed in Oregon as a Pharm Tech, it will be a pay cut, to be sure, but that doesn't really worry me. I worked for much less when I moved from Alaska.

It is hard to think that I don't have to get up for work tomorrow.

I have managed to create things to do all week, so I'll have to leave the house pretty much every day.

Longer term, Travis and I are still going to go on our spring break vacation. I should probably be a little more responsible, but this may be the last vacation he and I get to go on together for some time.

I have to sell all of my stock in the near future, or I lose the options, no longer being an employee. I'll probably use that money to buy a new tv, just because I want a tangible physical reminder of positivity. (And because my old tv is..... not so good.)

I'm going to go to Alaska for most of April, coming back in early May. That will give me family time. I wish Travis could come with me, but school comes first. I'll leave Beau with Travis and Derek, since I think he's probably better off without having to worry about being kenneled, or eaten by bears. It will be weird to be alone for that month. But in a way, it might be a good thing. It will hopefully make me appreciate better those that I have left behind.

Since I will likely have wealth of free time on my hands, I will try to be more pro active in creating posts. It is a habit I got out of.

More later..... :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pro-active blogging is a good start. I remember when I had to start moving around with my partner and I was unemployed for periods that blogging was a very positive experience. It actually helped me to reconnect with friends and family and it reawakened my creative side as well. I'm glad you are posting again. Consider me a fan and, of course, a friend :-)

Jas said...

Contact is good. Lunch was also very nice, I'm looking forward to next week. =)