Sunday, January 08, 2006

Seal Beatings

The three of us boys were pretty responsible growing up. We all had our moments, and I'm sure that some of the gray hair(s) showing up on our parents can be blamed on all three of us. As adults, I hope that we are fairly harmonious.

Growing up, I became a hoarder. As an adult, it is nearly compulsive. I worry about throwing things away that might serve a useful purpose. You never know when you might need that one piece of paper with that scribbled writing on it that didn't mean a thing to you when you looked at it yesterday, but meant a great deal when you awoke at 3 AM and jotted down your next invention idea.

On the flip side of my OCD personality trait, I am a saver. Hoarder, saver, same difference?

Vitamin-E Bro and his lovely shrinking wife Kelli bought me an iTunes Gift Certificate for Christmas and my birthday.
I love iTunes, and have been using it since the beginning. I've had an Apple computer for ages. Love them.

In my youth, I would have gone to iTunes and bought everything I could think of in quick and immediate totality, exhausting the thoughtful gift.

Instead, as an adult, I've made a rule.

If I want something, I have to wait two weeks.

If I still want it, and it is in the budget, I can buy it.

This tends to save me all kinds of money. But since the iTunes money wasn't really *my* money, I'm gonna spend it as I find things that appeal to me. A bit responsible, while still allowing me to be spontaneous.

Being naturally blond, and having a short attention span, I'm easily distracted by other things to buy.

So today on the way home from church (my weekly grocery shopping trip), I was listening to the radio.

A Seal song came on that I had never heard before.
Catchy, soulful, and emotionally charged.

So, there goes 10 bucks from my iTunes Gift Certificate.

If you like Seal, I recommend his album titled IV.


If you are more budget minded, for 99 cents, buy Seal - Love's Divine

Thanks Kelli and Eric!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lets see..want something..wait two weeks...then buy it. What an amazing concept......good idea for all of us.

Jas said...

Well, the only way it is a good idea is if you can stick to it. It took me years to have that much self discipline. If I had the money, I'd spend it.

Nowadays, I'm a little more budget minded.

And Quicken is my religion.

smussyolay said...

dude. if i hear ONE more person talk about quicken. god. yeah, GOD is telling me to get quicken. cause if one person, then two. by the time 5 people have mentioned something, the universe is SCREAMING!! HEY!! i have a great idea. check it the hell out!

okay. i'll check it out.

Jas said...

The only way Quicken works, is if you treat it as a religion.

I love it.

I'm lost without it.

It makes me feel warm and safe.

Black Eyed Gurl said...

as a horder/saver/general pack rat myself I do understand your plight! keep strong, and if all else fails, eBay is always a great place to dump off that old Get Along gang Action Figure Collection from the 3rd grade!

Jas said...

I could never sell my trash! I couldn't handle parting with it, but I'll keep eBay in mind if I change my ways.