Sunday, March 16, 2008

Change, growth, and the future.

Yes, I realize I have been quite absent lately. I've been a bad host, and very neglectful. Apologies to all my fans.


It is now official, the company is going to get rid of my payroll system. Sort of. They want to move all of the users off of the payroll piece, while still keeping the other pieces (health and welfare, HR system functions) in place. This will mean that jobs will be moving to Hutchison, Kansas.

I will *not* be moving to Hutchison, Kansas.

In no way will I entertain the backdrop of Kansas. I am just not that big a fan of Dorothy. I much prefer earthquakes and the occasional flood.

This means, basically, that I will get severance at some point in the next few years. Don't know when, though. A big integration project like the company is undertaking could take years, as many as 4. The track record of the parties involved in integration don't lend me any optimism in expediency. Time will tell.

On a more personal side, Derek and I have officially split. We are living separate lives, under the same roof. We just couldn't work out the details of dog custody, and we are still friends. Besides, we just couldn't deal with trying to split things up. Maybe at some point we might pull away from one another, but for now, separate rooms.


Travis spent a week here, and we all discussed his moving in for some time. He will be going to school at Pacific U. He flew out last week, interviewed on Saturday, and was accepted into the program on Friday.

Way to go Trav, I'm so very proud of you.

Travis will be living at 'Holgate House' with me on a trial basis. If we can all be amicable to one another, we'll see what the future holds. I'm optimistic, but not unrealistic, about the challenges ahead. We are all adults, we'll work it out in a way that doesn't require a restraining order.

I will be flying out to St. Louis in May. I will be there to help Travis finish packing thing, and then we will be driving back to Portland. I have our route all planned out, and am assembling a 3-ring binder. I ought to make my father proud.

I'm looking forward to driving through the midwest again.

I have some fun stories to publish in the coming weeks, but I wanted to provide an update for those who were waiting.


More to come.......

No comments: