Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A Drive for Just Us...

Justice, there are numerous definitions, but this one is the one I find most fitting:

The upholding of what is just, especially fair treatment and due reward in accordance with honor, standards, or law.

Why do I mention this?


Funny little story.

A few weeks back we were having company visit us from Atlanta. Being that we are polite and generous hosts, we felt it unnecessary to have our guests rent a car for a few days since I would be taking time off from work to play tour guide. We would all get along quite well, provided no one minded the dog fur in my SUV.

After retrieving the arriving persons at the airport, we made our way home. While attempting to merge into traffic onto the interstate highway, some rude driver already on the highway refused to let people in, at 60 miles per hour. Undaunted, and being much bigger than the tiny Toyota Matrix, I simply turned my blinker on, and moved into the lane. There was plenty of safe distance, although the driver felt that I had encroached upon their personal space. Being that we were in the more right of the lanes of traffic, I was traveling slower than the rest of the lanes, but still maintaining 60 or so.

Our less than happy tailgater decided to slingshot around me, honking and flashing hi-beam headlights. We moved around into the left lane, and then immediately in front of me. If I had been the typical troublemaker of my youth, I would have done something brash and annoying. This time, however, we had company, and I felt no need to create a car accident. I simply kept in the lane, and accelerated to about 65, the posted maximum limit. The Toyota Matrix, who we determined was female, has Nevada plates. She was not accelerating, but trying to slow down, in an attempt to annoy me. I didn't care. We kept driving. I changed lanes into the left lane as she continued to slow down.

Suddenly, she shot out into the left lane, and accelerated off, like a bat out of hell. I'd guess she was likely trying to show me up, or some such silly nonsense. My estimate of her speed, considering the rate at which she was no longer visible to me, was probably close to 80 or 85.

We discussed in the cabin of the SUV that she must be pissed off. We laughed it off, and continued home.


As we drove over a stretch of road, and made the lane changes to come upon the exit to my house, we saw up in the distance the familiar flashing blue and red lights of the Portland Police Department. As we approached, we saw a Toyota Matrix with Nevada plates pulled off the road, and the police officer right behind her. Hmmm, think perhaps she was caught being reckless and speeding and with out of state plates, which would have made her a further target? Oh darn! Poor tourist!


Everybody wave!!!!

2 comments:

Kevyn Hagemann said...

Now that's justice right there! While nobody would ever know what's up with her, she still brought it upon herself. Or, maybe she was just showing off her new car? Or she was just plain jealous of your SUV? Who knows, but in the end, she was pulled over. You'd wonder what she was feeling when she saw you passed by. Oh and way, dog fur on your SUV?

Jas said...

The SUV is the rolling care for the big dog, so his fur is all over the place. If people want a ride, they have to resign themselves to the fact that they're gonna get some dog hair on em. Thanks for the comment. How did you find me? :)