Thursday, July 27, 2006

College Daze

Being back in a class room after many years in the "real world" is a very odd feeling. Admittedly I had a great deal of apprehension and fear surrounding being back "in school". Having had only online classes up until know, actually going to college, at campus, and interacting with real professors and students felt quite daunting.

Nervous? You bet.
Ready? Sure.


I am parking at a parking garage that is about 13 blocks from my college campus. This is for a few reasons. First, it helps me to get some exercise. Second, it gives me time to clear my head away of all the garbage of my day at work, allowing me to focus on turning my brain power towards "learning" mode. Third, I don't have to fight for spaces close to campus or even on campus. On campus parking is a joke. Fourth, it gives me a chance to clear my brain after class. I can walk back to the garage and feel pretty alive and alert. Granted, my mind set may change when it starts being horrible weather and I am no longer under sunny skies, but instead under rain and wind chill.

The good part, the old man at the parking garage took a liking to me. He's only charging me 3 bucks a night to park in the garage. I was going to buy a reserved spot for a monthly fee, but up until he starts charging me more money, it isn't cost effective to shell out 70 bucks a month. (At this rate, I'll only spend about 24 bucks a month. Once I have 4 actual ground classes a week, then it would cost me about 50.)

I happen to have only one professor for all my classes right now. I know his style and how he wants things "done", so that has made things very easy for me. He's got a different attitude.

He said, "If you all do not get an 'A' then I am not doing a good job of teaching you".

So far, classes are not difficult, a lot of memorization, which is what I'm already used to.

Only 3 classes this term. If the next term classes are similar in structure, I may opt to take 4 and get them over with that much faster. I'm paying the same amount of money either way, but still it would be nice to FINISH.

I am glad I am not the oldest person in class.
Unfortunately, I am the math whiz.

Hopefully they don't all stone me by the end of the term.
The good news is that none of the classes are curved.

More later.

No comments: